Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Post-Christmas Thoughts

I found myself this Christmas being more overwhelmed with the words to the typical Christmas songs that we hear every year. I just wanted to write down the lyrics that stuck out to me the most. I also never noticed how many songs included the word "COME". All in anticipation of Jesus FINALLY coming, and inviting him in.

long lay the world, in sin and error pining till he appeared and the soul felt its worth.

the king of kings lay in a lowly manger, in all our trials born to be our friend

trully he taught us to love one another, his law is love & his gospel is peace

silent night, holy night, son of God, love's pure light

JOY to the world, the Lord has COME

let every heart prepare him room

O COME, O COME Emanuel, and ransome captive Israel. That morns in lonely exile here, until the son of God appears

COME thou long expected Jesus

dear desire of every nation, joy of every longing heart

born thy people to deliver, born a child and yet a king

what child is this? this, THIS is Christ the King

O COME to us abide with us, our Lord Emanuel


I also felt the need to figure out the difference in these words that are used so much in Christmas songs...

NOEL = Christmas

EMMANUEL = God with us

MESSIAH = anointed one

HOSANNA = save now

HALLELUJAH = Praise Yahweh, Praise the Lord

I've also decided that Joseph needs a bigger shout out during Christmas time. He is somehow overlooked a lot, or at least not talked about very much. He was a quality man. So sweet, understanding, and willing to risk his own reputation to submit to the fantastical plan that God used to bring Jesus here... even though at first it made NO sense whatsoever. He didn't reject Mary for being pregnant, he listened to God in his dreams and believed the angel when he spoke to him... he didn't have to do that. He also was quick to move Mary & Jesus to Egypt to escape Jesus being killed by Herod after he was born. He LISTENED and ACTED. Joseph was top notch, and I think deserves A LOT more talk time during Christmas because his obedience allowed for Jesus to get here too. So, with that said (and at the risk of sounding like a total dork), I'd like to say A+ Joseph!!! Thanks for being a quality man.

I'm so thankful that Jesus already came and that I will never have to know this life without him being here, unless I just leave him out. Even then, he's still here, despite myself.
Thank you for coming to us and for changing everything. You are our worth.
I hate when I forget this truth.

No comments: